Student Project Application
The Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics offers BUAD 444, Small Business Management, in the fall and spring semesters. The class pairs a local small business with a team of students. This provides students a “hands-on” experience using all the disciplines they have studied in their various classes. It also provides an opportunity for the small business owner to have outside input or work done by the college students, with the only cost being their time and commitment to the project.
The teams consist of 3 to 5 students and each team is also assigned an SBDC advisor. The projects will be overseen by the class professor who is also a staff member of the Delaware Small Business Development Center. Each team of students will complete an industry analysis, a financial analysis of the last 3 years and a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis for their business. Then using the information they have gleaned from these three deliverables, the team will work on a specific project. The project can take a variety of forms but must meet the following criteria:
- Specific and definable. The business owner should be able to state clearly and concisely exactly what they need from the students.
- The project needs to be able to be completed within the semester time frame.
- The students are not to be used as non-paid employees doing day-to-day work.
Each student will be required to sign a confidentiality statement, acknowledging all information gained regarding the business is not to be discussed outside of class or their small group.
Because we have no control over the number students who sign up for the class, the number of projects needed each semester varies.
Business Owner Requirements:
- The business owner, or appropriate designee, MUST be available during class time to meet with the students at least 7 times during the semester. The meetings will be held during the class during the business day.
- Complete a SBDC Client Information Form, if needed.
- Understand these are college students who can provide assistance, but will also be learning from the business owner.
- Be willing to freely share the struggles of the business, the financial information (as needed) and all the information necessary to complete the project.
If you are interested in participating please complete the form below: