The opportunity to work with an actual business provides an invaluable experience for University of Delaware business students, allowing them to apply various business disciplines through hands-on experience. It also provides an invaluable opportunity for the small business owner to receive outside input or work done by college students, with the only cost being their time and commitment to the project.
The students, under the guidance of their professor and/or an SBDC advisor, can help you:
- Research new markets
- Develop a marketing strategy
- Design a website
- Develop social media campaigns
- Analyze financial statements
- Create projections
Participating Businesses Can Expect:
- To become involved in a dynamic interchange with students, faculty, and advisors to solve complex business challenges.
- A comprehensive business and operations analysis conducted by a team of 2 to 4 students to provide insights and solutions.
- To experience campus life with dynamic student involvement that brings students together with business and industry
- Be specific and definable. Please clearly describe the project and what you need from the students.
- Have a measurable impact on your business.
- Able to be completed during the semester.
- The project should involve either marketing, finance, operational or management issues.
- Students are not to be used as non-paid employees doing day-to-day work.
Business Owner Requirements:
- The business owner, or appropriate designee, must be available during class time to meet with the students at least 7 times during the semester. The meetings will be held during the class during the business day.
- Complete an SBDC Client Information Form.
- Understand these are college students who can provide assistance, but will also be learning from the business owner.
- Be willing to freely share the struggles of the business, the financial information (as needed) and all the information necessary to complete the project.
- Attend the business owner orientation in Newark at the Delaware Technology Park shortly before the semester begins.
- Complete the Student Project Application
Contact Margo Reign
Adjunct Professor, University of Delaware
Business Advisor, Delaware Small Business Development Center